Centi Palace – XVII century – [L’Aquila]
Centi Palace securing works – L’Aquila
It is considered one of the highest baroque expressions in L’Aquila and it was commissioned by Gian Lorenzo Centi from Montereale, credited to Mastro Cola de Cicco, alias Loreto Cicchi from Pescocostanzo, and it was built between 1752 and 1776. This palace, the residence of Centi family that had bought the area and the existing palace in 1749, has a rectangular layout and is provided with three levels with a wide entrance gallery, an internal courtyard and a monumental staircase.
It is located on the long side of Piazza Santa Giusta, overlooking the homonym church in an undoubted historical and artistic value scenario, a few steps away from Piazza del Duomo. It was the seat of the Regional Council of Abruzzo from 2003 to 2009. Although it has been subjected to consolidation works over the years, it has been seriously damaged by the 2009 earthquake and it is unusable now.